So, today, after my olympics post, I decided I wanted to do another post, so we went out to buy food! So I decided to create Somerset Chicken and Potato Gratin!
We needed for the Chicken…
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 25g of unsalted butter
- 8 chicken thighs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 rashers smoked streaky bacon (cut into pieces)
- 2 carrots & 1 leek, chopped
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 250ml dry cider
- 150ml hot chicken stock
- 2 bramley apples, peeled, cored & sliced into wedges
- Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees centigrade (not fh!)
- Heat the oil and 10g butter in a large flameproof and ovenproof casserole dish
- Season the chicken with salt & pepper, and fry them in batches until golden brown. Remove from the dish and set on a plate aside.
4. Add the onion, leek, carrots & bacon to the dish and fry for 5 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour a cook for 1 minute, making sure nothing sticks to the base of the dish. Then add the cider bring to a simmer, and stir until thickened. Pour in enough stock to give the consistency of single cream.
5. Lay the apple slices over the mixture, then add the chicken on top. Cover with a lid and put in the oven for about 35 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked.
Now for a few pictures…!
The bacon mixture!
Thanks for reading! We served all this with a lovely potato gratin (cheesy potatoes!)
and the finished product…